Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thirsty

I haven't had an entry since Brazil. I felt speechless. I've told my wife a lot about the trip, but I find it hard to share with others. I learned so much. My previous blog entries were just the tip of the iceberg. I understand what John meant when he wrote,

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written. - John 21:25

I only experienced two weeks on this trip, and I feel it would take volumes to show everything I learned.

Being back has been different. I'm not satisfied with life as is. To steal an analogy from John Piper, it's like I grew up playing in a sandbox. My time in Brazil was like two weeks at a beautiful beach. To go back to my sandbox feels empty. I've seen more. I want more. And thank God, there is always more.

I can't wait to see what God will be doing at my church. I love my church and I know that God wants to pour Himself out on us. We've had two great services since I've been back, but I want more. I woke up in the middle of the night a few days ago and the Lord was calling me to pray. I was praying in my living room for more of God's glory. I saw a large waterfall coming down on central Pennsylvania. The Lord said, "This is only for the thirsty." Am I thirsty? I can always use a drink; but am I fighting to receive a drop from His hand?

In July of 2007, I went to Washington DC to spend the day with some friends. It was scorching hot. We were walking the mall and we couldn't take it any more. We found a small stand on the one corner and they were selling drinks. It was so hot and they were sold out of water. I hate gatorade, but I needed something. I was thirsty. I wasn't dying of thirst, but I was really dehydrated. I bought the gatorade and shared it with my wife. It was wonderful. It was still gross tasting, but quenching my thirst felt great.

I want to be thirsty for God. Even more than this story above. I want to thirst after Him like it was life or death. I have been challenged many times since I have been home. I will continue to be thirsty. I will continue to chase after His cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment