Monday, September 6, 2010

School, Work, and My Future

As some of you know, I have quit my job so I can go to school. A lot of you don't know why or how I'm going to provide for my family during this time. Here is a brief explanation.

I felt a calling to ministry 10 years ago. I have been waiting for the time of fulfillment for this call. We are called to be ministers, but I knew this would be a full time job for me. I've worked in the marketplace this whole time and used those experiences as witnessing tools. I never felt like my jobs were just for paychecks. God is my foundation. God is my provider. Jehovah Jireh can be translated as, "The Many Breasted One." He is my source of income. I may work at a 9-5 job but I'm not doing it for the paycheck. Just like God has called me to one day enter into full time ministry, He also called me to work in the marketplace for the past 10 years. But now it is time to take the next step.

I still am unsure of what my calling completely looks like, but I felt it was time to move on. The organization that I went to Brazil with is called Global Awakening. This is an international organization and it's headquarters are in Mechanicsburg, PA. This is only a few minutes from my house. I have been blessed by this ministry numerous times even before my Brazil trip. After my trip, I knew I needed to do so much more. I saw so many miracles and I watched God move in such powerful ways. I had a lot of trouble going back to work inside a cubicle for 8 hours a day.

My wife and I were praying about what to do. When both of us starting to think about Global School of Supernatural Ministry or GSSM for short. This school is a part of the same organization as I mentioned above. It is only a few minutes from my house and it is not very expensive.

This is not an academic school and it is not technically a college. This is a "hands-on" school that thrusts you into ministry right away. Basically everything I learned in Brazil over 2 weeks, I will be learning in more detail over 2 years. After 2 years, I will be ordained with their network of churches. God is a supernatural God and I want to learn more about that aspect of Him.

Rachel and I didn't really believe this was for us. It sounded great, but it was hard to believe that I should quit my job for this. There was no way for me to work my full time job and go to this school because the hours were simultaneous. After some spiritual confirmations, we started to take this serious. We tested this in every way we knew how, but God kept showing us this was His will. We talked it over with Godly advisors and they also felt this was God's will so I started the application process for the school.

Our plan was that I would work part time while going to school. I started to look for part time work. Even with a part time job, we wouldn't be able to pay the bills. We moved in with my in-laws back in March because we needed more room with my son being born in April. We wanted to save money to buy a house. We are not planning on living off of our in-laws. They do not have the extra money to do that. The money would have to come from God.

We believed that I never worked for a pay check and now that is becoming painfully obvious. God has to provide for us to do this. This is not everyone's call in life and I don't expect people to start quitting their jobs. But this does happen. Elijah lived off of ravens, Jesus had no place to lay His head, Israel lived off of manna from heaven. There are many more stories in the Bible of God providing for those that have none. Also, George Muller lived off of God back in the 1800's and Heidi and Rolland Baker live off of Him today. There are also many more modern day examples.

We continue to pray about this and we feel that I may not even work part time. That has not been completely decided. There is plenty that I can be doing with the church during non school hours and I also may begin to write a book. But whatever we decide to do, God will have to provide. He is the Many Breasted One. I know this is hard for some of you to understand. It goes against all logic. But Jesus said in John 5:19

I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

We feel this is what the Father is telling us. He gives good gifts and He doesn't bring confusion. Please pray with us during this time. He will meet our needs, but we need your prayers just the same.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I'm so proud of you! You can never fail by total abandonment to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Josh. Know we are praying for you guys in this time and we have faith and believe. We actually are familiar with Global Awakening and attempted to go a few times but for whatever reason it did not work out. Our friends in VA have been a part of that ministry and told us about it. ;) I wish there was a campus close to us out here! Blessing to you all and your sweet little ones!

    Meghan and Matt

    ReplyDelete